Sunday, August 25, 2013

Vitamin Check in!

So it has been two weeks since I got the results of my blood tests and upped my iron.  I didn't get the "prescription" iron till this last week, but I quadrupled my regular dose in the mean time.  There has already been a HUGE difference in my fatigue level.  Little things still exhaust me, but not the point of needing to take a three hour nap after.  I am able to get through most of my day with a dopio espresso to help with the energy level and taking breaks.  So all in all that is a win.

I am happy to say that I  have taken this seriously and have not missed any days on vitamins since the results came in.  I haven't been perfect, I have missed a few multi's here and there and taking my thyroid has been a crap shoot, but it is a positive change in the right direction. 

What I think is bothersome and needs to be looked at is the fact that I even let it get to this point.  I KNEW what I had to do, since long before I even had the surgery.  It was very very clear from the beginning, from even the orientation class. 

I knew it, I nodded, I bought the damn things, why did it take having plummeting lab results for me to get my ass in gear and take it seriously?  I mean, if you look back at past posts and check-ins, taking my vitamins regularly was ... well a regular issue.  So, why did it take something near catastrophic for this to wake me up?

The honest answer is that I think that is just how I am built.  It took some near catastrophic issues with my health  and horrible experiences at Harry Potter Land for me to decide to do something about my weight and health to begin with, so really why would this be any different?  There seems to be something about me that says that I have to learn from experience, rather than learning from others experiences or advice. 

And it's not just with my health that I seem to have to wait till things are crumbling before I get a clue.  It is that way in my life for work, care of the house, etc.  I will KNOW that I need to deal with issues or work on something specific, but its not till the last minute, till I am in crisis mode that I get around to it.

I am sure if I was still seeing my counselor, that this "revelation" would feed several sessions worth to reflect on.  *laughs*

I have spent two weeks beating myself up about the fact that I am a moron and let my levels slip this badly.  It is now time to get over it and move on.  So I learned my lesson.  The important thing is that I REALLY truly learn from this and not slip again in a month, two months or in two years.  As long as I get my levels back up, it doesn't do any permanent damage and I REALLY learn from this, then I need to let it go and move on.

No comments:

Post a Comment